Stovetop Chicken Stock
Note: The following will fit into a 12-quart stock pot. You can double or triple the recipe for a larger stockpot.
- 3-4 pounds chicken wing tips
- 2 large onions skin on quartered
- 2 large carrots unpeeled, rinsed
- 2 large celery ribs halved, rinsed
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 1 head garlic skin on, broken into cloves
- Place all ingredients into a stockpot.
- Add enough water to cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and let simmer for 5-6 hours.
- Scrape any fat off the top of the liquid.
- Let pot cool for 2-3 hours then place in fridge overnight.
- The following day, return pot to stove and heat until just warm. Scrape any fat that is present if desired.
- Strain liquid and freeze.
Slow Cooker Chicken Stock
Servings: 10 cups
- 3 pounds chicken pieces
- 3 carrots halved
- 3 stalks celery halved
- 1 onion quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- Place all but the water into your slow cooker. Add enough water to fill the cooker to about 1/2″ below the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Turn off cooker, remove lid and let cool for 30 minutes. Strain liquid into container for later use.